As we enter the age of latency or elderly, a lot of changes in our body happen – wrinkles, gray hair, etc. But aging is more than that. Aging affects everything in our body; from the heart, brain function, skeletal and muscle system, and even sexuality.
Aging is inevitable and we cannot stop it. The only thing we can do is to age gracefully. Here are some tips on how we can age gracefully:
- Avoid Alcohol and Don’t smoke – as we age, we should remove these two completely from our lives as they can do more harm than good. Alcohol in excess could lead to mental impairment and intoxication; Smoking could induce cancer growth in the body.
- Get moving – add physical activity to your daily routine as it may increase your cardiovascular integrity and health. Also, exercise improves the release of sexual hormones, flexibility, mood, and self-image, thus improve overall health.
- Importance of Sleep – Sleep is important as it is the phase where the body repairs itself. Quality sleep plays an important role in the healing and repair of your heart, blood vessels, and muscle system. Aim for seven to nine hours of sleep a night.
- Negativity is a no-no! – stress can do more harm to your cardiovascular system. Learn to reduce stress through meditation, exercise, or talk therapy.
- Good foods only – avoid the FSS – Fatty, Salty, and Sugary foods, as these foods could impair bodily functions in the long run. Choose vegetables, fruits, whole grains, high-fiber foods, and lean sources of protein, such as fish and skinless poultry. Limit sugar and foods high in saturated fat. As well as add Vitamin C, Vitamin D, and other minerals such as calcium and iron to your diet as these micronutrients are much needed for body repair and integrity – foods such as green leafy and whole vegetables, fruits, meat, and meat products, dairy products, and complex carbohydrates (root crops, whole wheat products, starchy vegetables, etc).
Simple as 1-2-3 right? So what are you waiting for? Do it now and to start it off, try Gardenia’s special recipe that can relieve your stress by its delicious and healthy chicken sandwich.
Gardenia Cajun Grilled Chicken Asparagus Rolls
Per serving: Carbohydrates: 28.95g, Protein: 11.5g, Fat: 9.5g, Calories: 248.5 kcal
- 2 pcs Gardenia Wheat Cranberry Loaf
- 60g chicken breast
- 2 tsp Cajun spice
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- ½ c flour
- 4 pcs Asparagus
- ½ cup tomato, diced
- ¼ cup cucumber, diced
- 1/8 cup white onion, diced
- 1/8 cup red onion, diced
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbsp lime juice
- Artificial sugar, to taste
1.) Marinate chicken breast with cajun spice, salt, and pepper and massage chicken for 5 minutes.
2.) Dredge the chicken in flour and pan-fry the marinated chicken until golden brown in color. Set aside.
3.) Preheat oven to 140 degrees Celcius. To assemble the roll, place 30 g of the cooked chicken and place 4 thin asparagus and roll it. Seal it with a toothpick.
4.) Bake the roll until the asparagus' are cooked.
- UPLB-IHNF, Public Health Nutrition Vol. 3, 2018
- Aging: What to expect?, https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/healthy-aging/in-depth/aging/art-20046070, Nov 2018.