Diabetes is a metabolic and chronic disease that occurs when the pancreas is no longer able to make insulin – a hormone that helps glucose or blood sugar into the cells; or when the body cannot make good use of the insulin it produces.
There are three (3) common types of Diabetes:
- Type 1 Diabetes – type of Diabetes that is inherited; manifests during early childhood and adolescence – in this type, the body produces little to no insulin, thus insulin shots are needed for better Glucose regulation.
- Type 2 Diabetes – type of Diabetes that is lifestyle induced; manifests on adulthood – in this type of Diabetes the body doesn’t utilize and efficiently use Insulin due to Obesity.
- Gestational Diabetes (GDM) – is a type of diabetes that consists of high blood glucose during pregnancy and is associated with complications to both mother and child. GDM usually disappears after pregnancy but their children are at increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes in the progressing years.
In the Philippines, the prevalence of Diabetes in 2017 is 6.2% of the total population of adults – that is 3.7 million of 60 million adults.
Scary as it may, but we can beat Diabetes! Hence, Dia-BEAT this!
The following are our shield and armor in the prevention of Diabetes:
- Go for an extra mile – Be more physically active. Why?
- It can help you lose weight
- It lowers your Blood Sugar
- It boosts Insulin Sensitivity
- Improves Cardiovascular health and circulation
- Add more Fiber to your Diet
- Improves Glucose Control due to the complexity of Fiber
- Reduces risk of CVD
- Increases satiety thus improves weight management.
- Right type and amount of Grains and Grain-products!
- Choose whole grains rather than those easily digested such as rolled oats, unsweetened cereals, whole wheat Breads, brown unpolished rice, root crops (sweet potato, potato), and many more.
- Do it and move it! Move more, eat right, hydrate well.
- Enhance your Diet and Lifestyle; Do not fall for FAD DIETS!
Remember, G-A-R-D-E-E! Short for Gardenia!
When it comes to our health, “Prevention is better than cure.” As a preventive measure, try Gardenia’s special recipe using Gardenia High Fiber Whole Wheat Bread!
Gardenia Chicken Pesto Sandwich
- For pesto, use food processor to mix the garlic, basil, extra virgin olive oil, parsley, mint, and walnuts.
- For the bread, toast and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a pan over high heat. Combine the chicken, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook until chicken is browned.
- Add the pesto sauce and tomato. Use salt and pepper to adjust the seasoning.
- Mix the sauce and chicken. Sprinkle parmesan cheese. Remove from heat.
- For the sandwich, place lettuce leaf on one side of the bread. Spread the chicken pesto sauce. Cover with another slice of bread. Serve.
- 2 slices Gardenia High Fiber Whole Wheat
- 5g Chicken Breast, sliced into ½ strips
- 1tbsp Salt
- 1tbsp Pepper
- 3tbsp Parmesan Cheese
- 3 slices Tomatoes
- 1 Leaf Lettuce
- 25g Basil
- 5g Parsley
- 5g Mint
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 10g Walnuts
- 1/8 ml Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Internation Diabetes Foundation, Prevalence of Diabetes in the PH – https://www.idf.org/our-network/regions-members/western-pacific/members/116-the-philippines.html
- Diabetes prevention: 5 tips for taking control – https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/type-2-diabetes/in-depth/diabetes-prevention/art-20047639
- Definition, Classification and Diagnosis of Diabetes, Prediabetes and Metabolic Syndrome –https://www.canadianjournalofdiabetes.com/article/S1499-2671(13)00012-9/fulltext